ssh_exchange_identification

From: Asif Iqbal (iqbala-secureshell_at_qwestip.net)
Date: 02/17/05

    Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:38:43 -0500
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi All

    I am running OpenSSH_3.7.1p2-pwexp24 (I know it is old) on Two Solaris 8
    system.

    When I try to connect to the server from the client almost every third
    or forth time I get this error in debug

    debug1: identity file .identity type 0
    ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
    debug1: Calling cleanup 0x41954(0x0)

    Both server and client running the same OpenSSH. There is no
    /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} file on the server. This problem is intermittent
    as I mentioned.

    I am not using NIS. The /etc/nsnswitch.conf file for hosts is

    hosts files dns

    In the /etc/hosts of the server, I placed the ip/hostname of the client
    just in case.

    I have only one entry in the ipf.conf file related to ssh on the server
    like this

    pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = 22 flags S keep state

    The traceroute from either side ends to other pretty quick, so there may
    not be any network issue. I have installed this same
    OpenSSH_3.7.1p2-pwexp24 on 20+ servers. This is the only server that is
    acting up.

    I did some google search and did not really find any solution for it.

    Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated

    --
    Asif Iqbal
    PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu