Re: sshd closing connection on reception of username

From: Peter Robinett (peterr_at_uchicago.edu)
Date: 02/16/05

    Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:43:30 -0600
    To: Darren Tucker <dtucker@zip.com.au>

    Thanks for the reply. A manual power cycle ended up doing the trick.
    Looking through /var/log/messages I see a lot of messages (much more
    than normal) from Shorewall (a firewall managing iptables) before the
    power cycle and none afterward. I think the problem was shorewall
    becoming misconfigured and cutting off ssh connections, rather than
    anything with sshd.

    Peter

    Darren Tucker wrote:

    > Peter Robinett wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, here's my problem and hopefully someone might have a clue
    >> what's going on: I was logged in to a linux box (Mandrake 10.0) when
    >> my wireless internet connection on my client machine died. Now when I
    >> try to ssh to the server it fails. The attached output.txt file shows
    >> what happens.
    >

    > The interesting messages will be in the server's debug output. See
    > http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general-debugging.auto.html
    >
    >> Note: I was installing some dependencies of apache2, so I guess it's
    >> conceivable that that messed up the machine when my connection was
    >> broken.
    >

    > I would guess that you installed a different version of OpenSSL that
    > what sshd is linked with.

    • Re: Cox Internet Cable
      ... I did power cycle the modem after I connected the modem to the laptop. ... > add some security to your Internet connection. ... > If your question is worth asking, it's worth posting. ...
    • Re: Cox Internet Cable
      ... I did power cycle the modem after I connected the modem to the ... >> That will add some security to your Internet connection. ... >> Did you try doing a power cycle on the cable modem whenever you switch ... >> If your question is worth asking, it's worth posting. ...
    • Re: Linksys WRT54G Router Problem
      ... Default Gateway and DNS Servers if I power cycle ... the router, & then it loses connection several times a day. ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)
    • Re: are all dsl modems the same?
      ... > have to power cycle it in order to get my connection working after an ... I think my next modem will be an Alcatel .. ... I have the same problem where my connection goes down. ... If it won't ping I have the script send a "restart" ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: OpenBSD icmp patch
      ... Actually it's not to protect anything just to implement a cheap way to ... power cycle a server become unresponsive to ssh connections. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)