PKA on OpenSSH on Cygwin

From: Dan Franks (Dan.Franks_at_Ticketmaster.com)
Date: 02/10/05

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:09:04 -0800

    Hello all,

    Quick question. Am I correct in my understanding that private key
    authentication can not be performed for any account except the account the
    openssh service is run under? I am referencing this text:

    "Cygwin has some limitations with regard to PKA. PKA on the server can only
    be set up on the account under which the SSHD daemon (service) is run. That
    means for PKA logins, the connection will always log in as the 'sshd'
    account on the remote server. If you desire access to your own account, you
    will have to run 'ssh ' and enter a password, assuming you have previously
    established your account on that server."

    on Drew Hunts' guide to Setting up Secure Shell with Public Key
    Authentication Capability on Cygwin.

    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

    • Re: Basic Authentication fails with Error 401.2 where Integrated s
      ... Just as a check I used NET USER /ADD on my test account and as expected ... The password dialog is supposed to appear for Basic authentication ... Thinking more esoterically now -- what are the login rights assigned ... IIS uses a specific login type, ...
    • Re: Basic Authentication + IIS 5 + Windows 2000 + Frontpage 2002 = failure?
      ... Everytime I attempt to login under Basic Authentication, ... IUSR_blah account. ... the anonymous user impersonated by the IIS Server is the ... > Event Viewer Security log. ...
    • Re[2]: opinions on password policies
      ... >> policy is to demand public-key authentication. ... >> use the authentication information to get into the victim's account on ... CJC> I am not sure I understand your argument here. ... However, if the box that stores the private key is compromised, all ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Basic Authentication fails with Error 401.2 where Integrated s
      ... here are the results of the MS Authentication & Access ... ACCOUNTNAME, this is the account that I am trying to grant access to: ... Account: COMPUTERNAME\ACCOUNTNAME Access type: FULL ... The current configuration requires IIS subauthentication. ...
    • Re: Basic Authentication + IIS 5 + Windows 2000 + Frontpage 2002 = failure?
      ... authentication selected, anonymous & windows integrated *not* selected) ... browsing to this VDIR as the local administrator account via Basic-only ... the anonymous user impersonated by the IIS Server is the ...