RE: SSH with a central host list?

From: Carlson, Scott (Scott.Carlson_at_schwab.com)
Date: 01/15/05

    To: John Horne <John.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk>, SSH list <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:45:18 -0800

    If you really want a central "file", I would suspect that Putty would do
    this for you with the proper command line switches to load the hosts into
    the list.
    Or, you could just have windows update the registry for you upon bootup
    (with a policy or batch file).. That's "sorta" like a central config,
    rather then a central file.

    Per the doc.

    Saved sessions are stored in the Registry, at the location

             HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessions

           If you need to store them in a file, you could try the method
           described in section 4.21.

    Sounds to me like you need to really rely on DNS to do this for you and make
    all of your changes in DNS rather than in local config files. DNS really
    *is* your central file in this case. That way they just need to know the
    names of their devices, which I suspect they already do.. Just update DNS
    with the new IP Address and it'll change for everyone once the TTL expires.

    Good luck.

    Scott Carlson
    Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.