Re: SSH with a central host list?

From: Alexander Klimov (alserkli_at_inbox.ru)
Date: 01/14/05

    Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:28 +0200 (IST)
    To: John Horne <John.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk>

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, John Horne wrote:
    > Our networking team are using secure shell to access their network
    > devices from Windows XP laptops. However, at present there are over 400
    > devices and each member of the team has their own copy of those devices
    > DNS name and/or IP address in a list. The problem is that whenever a
    > device is changed (IP address), added or removed then each member of the
    > team has to be told and update their list. This does not work well!
    >
    > I have been asked to see if there is a secure shell client, be it open
    > source, shareware, commercial or whatever, that supports some form of
    > 'central host list'. Ideally this would be just a text list of DNS names
    > held on a central file store. That way the team only has to update one
    > list and the change is then immediately accessible to all team members.

    Don't sure that I really understand your question.

    If only IP addresses change then you can use simple DNS server to
    store domain -> ip mapping (both domain names and IPs can be private,
    i.e. device1.localdomain. and 10.0.1.5). In fact, it is exactly the
    purpose of DNS as opposed to hosts files.

    If some other config info has to be changable (e.g., ssh ports) then
    you can share your config using configuration file which could be
    updated (e.g., you can download it from some internal http server on
    each boot, or use a file on some SMB share). The name of the
    configuration file is different for each ssh client...

    --
    Regards,
    ASK

    • RE: SSH with a central host list?
      ... If you really want a central "file", I would suspect that Putty would do ... Sounds to me like you need to really rely on DNS to do this for you and make ... added or removed then each member of the ... I have been asked to see if there is a secure shell client, ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: resolv.conf issues - suggestion (was Re: browser problems )
      ... I lost my DNS after reboot. ... # Configuration file for /sbin/dhclient, ... # This is a sample configuration file for dhclient. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • RE: SSH with a central host list?
      ... SSH with a central host list? ... DNS name and/or IP address in a list. ... added or removed then each member of the ... I have been asked to see if there is a secure shell client, ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Autodetect is not working for some users
      ... If they can go to http://wpad/wpad.dat and get the configuration file, ... DHCP is out of the picture as far as a source of the problem. ... some users are not taking the option from the DNS. ... users have the "automatically detect settings" checkbox on, ...
      (microsoft.public.isa.clients)
    • Re: IBM Network dispatcher problem
      ... There was a change in DNS ... > and the clsuter name is associated with different IP address. ... > dispatcher itself is using old IP address. ... The best way is to manually change the configuration file. ...
      (comp.unix.aix)