SSH_ASKPASS: program exists, env is OK, but askpass program is not started

From: Manfred Hauswirth (
Date: 01/16/05

    Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:11:44 +0100

    I just wanted to use ssh with lincvs on my FC3 box but it seems that I cannot
    get my ssh which comes with FC3 to work properly (OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a
    Feb 19 2003). I checked in the shellscript that I use to start up ssh that (1)
    SSH_ASKPASS and DSIPLAY are in the environment and make sense (i.e., the
    askpass program is found and can be executed), (2) no tty is set (output of
    "tty"). Yet ssh tries to read the passwork from the commandline and does not
    start the program specified by SSH_ASKPASS as it should (that are the
    requirements given in the manpage). Also ssh < /dev/null as indicated in the
    manpage does not make a difference.

    I checked the manpages and my configuration multiple times, tried Google ...
    but it seems that this specicific problem has not occured to anyone yet ...

    I am a bit out of good advice now and any help would be highly approciated.

    Best regards,

    Manfred Hauswirth, LSIR - Distributed Information Systems Laboratory
    EPFL-I&C-IIF, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL)
    Batiment BC, Station 14, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
    Tel: +41-21-693 5237, Fax: +41-21-693 8115

    • Re: SSH safety
      ... SSH safety (J.L. ... FC3 missing KDE menu items ... I was wondering how safe it is to open the ssh port up to the internet. ...
    • Problems running X apps via ssh from non-FC3 box
      ... display them on a remove X server via ssh. ... that's when I ssh *to* FC3 ... same problem if remote host is running Enterprise Linux 4 rather than FC3. ...
    • Re: FC3 core over RH9, now no BIND :(
      ... would have borked my remote system had it been affected by the problem I ... Yesterday I updated an FC3 box remotely. ... connect by SSH to it. ... There were permissions problems ...
    • Re: X Forwarding with SSH in FC3 and FC2
      ... X Forwarding with SSH in FC3 and FC2 ... > X Error of failed request: ...
    • problem in ssh into the server through .ssh/config file on FC3
      ... I had configured CVS 1.11.17 on FC3. ... authentication now I am switching to ext authentication. ... am facing is that ssh is not running on port 22 but on some other ... When I try to ssh into FC3 from some other system I get this following error: ...