SSH with a central host list?

From: John Horne (John.Horne_at_plymouth.ac.uk)
Date: 01/13/05

    To: SSH list <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:43:22 +0000

    Hello,

    Our networking team are using secure shell to access their network
    devices from Windows XP laptops. However, at present there are over 400
    devices and each member of the team has their own copy of those devices
    DNS name and/or IP address in a list. The problem is that whenever a
    device is changed (IP address), added or removed then each member of the
    team has to be told and update their list. This does not work well!

    I have been asked to see if there is a secure shell client, be it open
    source, shareware, commercial or whatever, that supports some form of
    'central host list'. Ideally this would be just a text list of DNS names
    held on a central file store. That way the team only has to update one
    list and the change is then immediately accessible to all team members.

    I have looked at some SSH products, openssh, secure CRT, F-secure,
    openssh for windows (with ttssh), terraterm and so on, but can find
    nothing that has any sort of central host list. Does anyone know of any
    such product?

    Many thanks,

    John.

    John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
    E-mail: John.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839

    • Re: sp_revoke login is not working as expected.
      ... EXEC xp_logininfo 'MyDomain\SomeUserAccount','members' ... Try specifying a group member rather than the group. ... This should list the Windows groups the user can connect with. ... connect with the non-existing login. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: Role of current windows login user
      ... as Windows based 'roles' are mapped to "Windows security group" ... generic member of a sales department. ... |> opens the resource, this is the task of the OS and not the ...
    • Re: KRB Error
      ... I'm heading out the door for the day, but there is something tickling the back of my brain about differences with Authenticated Users from Windows 2000 to 2003. ... server of Domain A) as an Domain Administrator. ... Member servers on Domain A cannot access resources on Domain B. ...
    • Re: Egg Head Cafe Is SPAMMING This News Group!
      ... You are required to be a member to post replies. ... After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page. ... Is legal my WINDOWS vISTA SOFTWEAR? ...
    • Re: W2k3 NETBIOS name change?
      ... You need to reboot twice all member workstations, member servers, and ... standalone servers that are running Windows ... 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 Server family in the renamed ... to all applications and services running on the member computer. ...