Re: problems connecting from Windows

From: James Wilson (jww1066_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/11/05

    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:43:19 -0500
    To: Leif Ericksen <leife@dls.net>

    [sorry for the dup, cc'ing the list]

    On Windows it's using openssh 3.9p1. I invoke it without any
    commandline parameters so it should be fine. Putty and WinSCP are set
    up to use protocol 2 as well. The version of ssh being different
    wouldn't account for the telnet problem or the fact that everything
    works fine with the old ethernet card, would it?

    James

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:15:26 -0600, Leif Ericksen <leife@dls.net> wrote:
    > Have you checked to ensure that the windows version is using the proper
    > ssh version? 1 VS 2? Just in the event that it was hard coded to use
    > only over version of ssh. PUTTY has an option that tells it what
    > version of ssh to use.
    > Same Hardware just dual boot.
    > - NIC MAC same will not be blocked of you have mac
    > blocking setup.
    > - Same IP address so that should not be issue.
    > - Software Linux VS Windows.
    > - Potential Software issue.
    >
    > --
    > Leif
    >

    > On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 21:14 -0800, James Wilson wrote:
    > > My apologies if this is a FAQ - I have been RTFMing
    > > for two days now and haven't been able to find an
    > > answer.
    > >
    > > I have a machine running RH 9 with kernel 2.4.20-31.9
    > > and openssh 3.9p1/openssl 0.9.7e. sshd is on port 22,
    > > and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to
    > > the RH box, which is on a home LAN.
    > >
    > > I have a laptop which can boot into either Windows XP
    > > or Debian. In both cases the network configuration is
    > > the same (static IP). When it boots into Debian, it
    > > can ssh to the router's external address and connect
    > > to the RH machine. However, when it boots into Windows
    > > XP, it can't connect with ssh (I tried Cygwin, Putty,
    > > and WinSCP) via the router's address; in all cases the
    > > client times out. When I telnet to port 22 on the
    > > router, I get nothing until I type some random
    > > characters and hit enter a couple of times, at which
    > > point I get the SSH version number.
    > >
    > > Connecting using the RH machine's LAN address works
    > > fine in all cases.
    > >
    > > Connecting from a remote Linux machine which is not on
    > > the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting
    > > to port 22 immediately shows the version number.
    > > Connecting from a remote Windows machine which is not
    > > on the local LAN shows the exact same behavior as when
    > > I connect from a local Windows machine, i.e. it
    > > doesn't work.
    > >
    > > In summary: ssh/telnet/putty/winscp from Windows to
    > > the router always times out, ssh/telnet from Linux to
    > > the router always succeeds. So it appears to be a
    > > Windows/Linux problem rather than a local/remote
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Here's the funny part: this problem first appeared
    > > when I installed a new a 3c2000 gigabit ethernet card.
    > > Using my old 10 megabit 3c900 card makes this whole
    > > problem go away.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > > James

    • Re: tightvnc & ssh
      ... > I can ssh to my mandrake box. ... I got a connection error (I forget the exact error ... Which seems to mean that I can't just use tightvnc on the windows ... There is a product called putty. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • problems connecting from Windows
      ... and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to ... I have a laptop which can boot into either Windows XP ... XP, it can't connect with ssh (I tried Cygwin, Putty, ... the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: OpenSSH, Telnet, Windows Authentication and double-hops
      ... >> ssh -L) ... JM> in seperate DOS console windows in this order: ... I'm using the 3.8 version of OpenSSH. ... >> Kerberos ticket, or your password in order to acquire one. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: DECwindows over PuTTY
      ... I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. ... I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: problems connecting from Windows
      ... Have you checked to ensure that the windows version is using the proper ... only over version of ssh. ... > and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to ... > the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting ...
      (SSH)