problems connecting from Windows

From: James Wilson (jww1066_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/08/05

    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:14:32 -0800 (PST)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    My apologies if this is a FAQ - I have been RTFMing
    for two days now and haven't been able to find an
    answer.

    I have a machine running RH 9 with kernel 2.4.20-31.9
    and openssh 3.9p1/openssl 0.9.7e. sshd is on port 22,
    and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to
    the RH box, which is on a home LAN.

    I have a laptop which can boot into either Windows XP
    or Debian. In both cases the network configuration is
    the same (static IP). When it boots into Debian, it
    can ssh to the router's external address and connect
    to the RH machine. However, when it boots into Windows
    XP, it can't connect with ssh (I tried Cygwin, Putty,
    and WinSCP) via the router's address; in all cases the
    client times out. When I telnet to port 22 on the
    router, I get nothing until I type some random
    characters and hit enter a couple of times, at which
    point I get the SSH version number.

    Connecting using the RH machine's LAN address works
    fine in all cases.

    Connecting from a remote Linux machine which is not on
    the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting
    to port 22 immediately shows the version number.
    Connecting from a remote Windows machine which is not
    on the local LAN shows the exact same behavior as when
    I connect from a local Windows machine, i.e. it
    doesn't work.

    In summary: ssh/telnet/putty/winscp from Windows to
    the router always times out, ssh/telnet from Linux to
    the router always succeeds. So it appears to be a
    Windows/Linux problem rather than a local/remote
    problem.

    Here's the funny part: this problem first appeared
    when I installed a new a 3c2000 gigabit ethernet card.
    Using my old 10 megabit 3c900 card makes this whole
    problem go away.

    Thanks in advance.
    James

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    • Re: problems connecting from Windows
      ... Have you checked to ensure that the windows version is using the proper ... only over version of ssh. ... > and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to ... > the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection problem
      ... My Local LAN is a Windows NT 4.0 network, but the Windows NT system is NOT ... DNS service to the Windows Vista machine as it could not be added to the Win ... Since I get the TSWeb login web page, it seems the router is passing me ...
    • Re: ssh - connection refused
      ... not the ssh connection is thru the local network only or thru the ... Then, the pb could come from my router, and its configuration. ... 192.168.1.17 (the IP of my homeserver on the local lan) ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh
      ... >> router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside ... >> Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390 ... >> i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)