backup procedure

From: Gunnar Ahlberg (gunnar_at_gunnarahlberg.com)
Date: 12/21/04

    Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:23:47 +0100 (CET)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi all,

    I'm fairly new to this list so please point me in the right direction if
    I'm on the loose.

    However, I'm not that new to SSH but I have one question.
    Where can I find documentation about backing up the sshd configuration?
    I'm in the process of moving my existing server to a new physical machine.

    Can I move the /etc/ssh/* files to the new server? The new machine will
    have the same configuration and the same server name on the DNS but it's
    own actual hostname (we'll do some dns link magic behind the scene)

    I would like this to ensure that the users don't see that the server has
    changed.

    /G

    ---------------------------------
    http://www.gunnarahlberg.com
    ---------------------------------

    • Re: Trouble with X11 over SSH on Mandriva 2010.0
      ... If next clean install/update causes ssh to break, ... installed the sshd daemon/service package (OpenSSH Server) on the server. ... correct values for client and server. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)
      ... this was one "result" of the comromised ssh binary at sourceforge. ... a public server of the Apache Software Foundation ... > (ASF) was illegally accessed by unknown crackers. ... > exhaustive audit of all Apache source code and binary distributions ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics
      ... I suppose I could run on stable until the driver is fixed in a release branch, but I need this box up and online, and I've always read that the stable branch is not the place for production servers. ... I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p5 on a Toshiba built server: dual Xeon Intel motherboard with a LSILogic MegaRAID controller. ... Also, some network ports still respond, like a telnet to port 22 to test SSH will yield an SSH banner, but trying to connect with SSH just hangs. ... The box runs a web-based app and connects to a local Postgres DB which seemed to be unable to start new connections being requested by the PHP scripts. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: restrict ssh access
      ... > We have one ssh server which receives about 6000 failed attempts to ... > unsuccessful login attempts per client IP address? ... the remote server is also running OpenSSH. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH as root
      ... Subject: SSH as root ... but it doesn't require having a key on the server that could be ... If they compromise a server, and the passphrase, etc. is there, they only ... private key to anyone. ...
      (SSH)