OpenSSH and SmartCards

From: Christopher Warner (cwarner_at_servertogo.com)
Date: 12/08/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com, zanee@kernelcode.com
    Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:27:16 -0500

    I have a question regarding OpenSSH and smartcard functionality. Does
    OpenSSH support smartcards natively and if not what api, "middleware" is
    it using?

    What i'm essentially trying to do is simple. I insert a smartcard and
    X.509 certificate/keys are read off of it by ssh, sshd then grants
    access based on config and validity of certificate/keys.

    This also brings to question does *nix have a standard api when it comes
    to smartcards? Or is it just whatever works? I'll be using OpenBSD to host
    the ssh server and a combination of windows/linux as client machines.

    Thanks,
    Christopher Warner