scp library

From: Hari S (catchhs_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 12/08/04

    Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:49:55 -0800 (PST)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello,

    I've some doubts regarding the scp
    protocol/implementation, which I thought I should get
    clarified. I'm trying to develop a scp client library
    using the openssh, with the following requirements /
    features.

    - client side library for scp
    - no password invokation (API for providing password
    to the lib)
    - no control over the scp/ssh server
    - localhost to remotehost functionality (at the
    minimum)
    - openssh doesnt provide a library/API for scp.

    I though I should make sure what I understand from the
    scp.c (I couldnt find any good docs for scp :-)) is
    true. For copy from localhost tpo remotehost,
    - "scp file user@server:" at the client
    - client tries to establish "ssh" with the server
    - local "ssh" client asks the user for passwd
    - "ssh" session is established
    - "scp -t file user@server" is executed at the server
    end.
    - both the scps' cooperate together to transfer the
    file (using the same ssh session)

    Now,
    a. Can I eliminate the password invocation in my
    library? (I believe the local ssh client asks for the
    passwd. So, do I need any tweaks in the "ssh" client
    code as well)?
    b. I wouldnt have any control over the "scp" program
    running at the server end. Will this have any effect n
    my library?
    c. Are there any other things I should know before
    staring off with the lib?

    Thanks for any help,
    Hari

    http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Re: Is SSH worth it??
      ... > We would be using SSH and SCP. ... SCP for automated scripts. ... > client will not be prompted for a password. ... remote machine, but imho it is better to swap client+server and give ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: scp requieres scp1?
      ... >> If the server doesn't support SSH1, it doesn't support scp. ... SSH connection to the server using your local SSH client program, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Comfortable ssh file management tool for linux ?
      ... I think of a scenario with vmware on my windows machine, ... You use scp to transfer data ... > scp and ssh do not require passwords.) ... > Manipulating data like this via a Windows client may not be as easy. ...
      (comp.os.linux.x)
    • Re: NFS Buffering
      ... The problem is that after scp reports that it's 100% complete the ... not necessarily aiming to get rid of it, just set the cache size to ... Buffering will be done at both the server AND the client. ... How to I configure nfsiod? ...
      (Fedora)