Dynamic Forwarding

From: Peter Hutnick (hutnick_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:45:47 -0700
To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

Hello,

I have a general SSH issue, but I don't know where else to go. If
someone can suggest a more appropriate forum, I'm all ears.

I'm trying to use dynamic forwarding to overcome the limitations of a
proxy server. I've tried both OpenSSH (using a Cygwin binary) and
PuTTY. I've tried connecting through both my web host and sdf-ed.org.
 I've tried both SOCKS v4 and v5 in Mozilla Firefox and the general
proxy setting in IE. I've used "localhost" and "127.0.0.1". I've
tried using the local ports 1080, 8080, and 5008.

When I attempt to access a webpage in Firefox if just "flickers" and
gives no error. But whatever was in the window before I requested the
page remains. IE gives it's typical DNS error page.

I don't think it is a DNS issue, though, because I get the same
behavior if I try to access a page by IP instead of name.

Any pointers gratefully appreciated.

-Peter