X forwarding and X11UseLocalhost

From: Michael J. Barillier (mbarilli_at_midsouth.rr.com)
Date: 11/24/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:56:12 -0600

    [I've posted this to the comp.security.ssh newsgroup but didn't get a
    reply, and am hoping to have better luck here. TIA.]

    I've been using X11 forwarding, but since switching from XFree86 to
    X.org (on both local and remote hosts, both running Gentoo Linux,
    2.6.9 kernel and OpenSSH v3.8.1p1) I've observed that `ssh -X
    userid@remotehost' results in DISPLAY being set in the remote shell to
    `thishost:0.0' (where thishost is the system system from which I'm
    connecting) rather than `localhost:10.0' as it had before. The server
    does have X11UseLocalhost set to `yes' in sshd_config, so I'm a little
    stumped. I'd like to get the old behavior working, rather than use
    `xhost +remotehost' on thishost.

    Where can I start looking for the cause of this change (short of the
    source code itself - I'm hoping it won't come to that and someone will
    know the fix off-hand)?

    Thanks!

    --
    Michael J. Barillier               | ``When you have to shoot, shoot.
    <blackwolf(at)shadizar.dyndns.org> | Don't talk.''