'ssh' command behavior

From: Sebestyén Zoltán (Zoltan.Sebestyen_at_netvisor.hu)
Date: 11/25/04

    Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:04:11 +0100
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

     I'm about to switch an application from using rsh to (Open) ssh and
    bumped into a problem. My (web) application runs on Solaris and its
    task is to run, control, and stop processes running on other Solaris
    systems.

     If someone clicked on 'start' button, it started a local process,
    which in turn started a process via rsh on the remote Solaris server.
    It was like:

     rsh -l username servername '/tmp/startscript.sh'

    These two processes ran until one of them died, i.e. any of these
    process died, the other one died too. This way I could control exactly
    whether a remote process still runs, and I also was able to stop this
    exact process. In fact, rsh made the whole control of the remote
    process transparent, I got the stdin, stdout, stderr of the process
    locally, and even the signals sent to the local process were forwarder
    exactly to the remote process.

    Now, I thought I can just simply replace the rsh with ssh, I supposed
    this mechanism works the same way. However, if I kill the local
    process, the remote one doesn't end.

    Could you please tell me, how this mechanism works on ssh?

    Regards,

    Zoltan

    • server securing issues
      ... have done some securing on my solaris server and ... Information about the remote host: ... Port ssh ... An SSH server is running on this port. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: Great SWT Program
      ... may have been Solaris. ... That's ssh. ... of using the login process on the remote host. ... terminal emulator and saw a system welcome message and "login:" ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • ssh command behavior
      ... My application runs on Solaris and its ... which in turn started a process via rsh on the remote Solaris server. ... Now, I thought I can just simply replace the rsh with ssh, I supposed ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Great SWT Program
      ... which is Solaris but not very ... You know that ssh reads the ... Most terminals allow to configure, ... working with the same type of remote machine for some time, ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • ufsdump from a remote server via ssh
      ... I'm exploring a solution to do "ufsdump" from a Solaris 8 server (which ... currently also has an 'ssh command not found problem') to a remote ... where /ora/destdir is permitted for writing by the remote user myuserid. ...
      (SunManagers)