'ssh' command behavior

From: Sebestyén Zoltán (Zoltan.Sebestyen_at_netvisor.hu)
Date: 11/25/04

    Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:04:11 +0100
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

     I'm about to switch an application from using rsh to (Open) ssh and
    bumped into a problem. My (web) application runs on Solaris and its
    task is to run, control, and stop processes running on other Solaris

     If someone clicked on 'start' button, it started a local process,
    which in turn started a process via rsh on the remote Solaris server.
    It was like:

     rsh -l username servername '/tmp/startscript.sh'

    These two processes ran until one of them died, i.e. any of these
    process died, the other one died too. This way I could control exactly
    whether a remote process still runs, and I also was able to stop this
    exact process. In fact, rsh made the whole control of the remote
    process transparent, I got the stdin, stdout, stderr of the process
    locally, and even the signals sent to the local process were forwarder
    exactly to the remote process.

    Now, I thought I can just simply replace the rsh with ssh, I supposed
    this mechanism works the same way. However, if I kill the local
    process, the remote one doesn't end.

    Could you please tell me, how this mechanism works on ssh?