Unable to install *.MSI package via OpenSSH

From: Ludvik Kos (x12347_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/16/04

    Date: 16 Nov 2004 12:45:34 -0000
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi!

    I could not install MSI package using OpenSSH secure shell. Procedure is the
    following:

    1. ssh administrator@windowsnode
    2. msiexec /I package.msi /qn /L*v "c:\logfile.txt"

    Installation aborts after some time. In the logfile there are the following
    interesting lines:

    MSI (s) (90:90): Skipping action: CCPSearch (condition is false)
    MSI (s) (90:90): Skipping action: RMCCPSearch (condition is false)
    MSI (s) (90:90): Doing action: VBSCheckForDependentProducts
    MSI (s) (90:90): Creating MSIHANDLE (1) of type 790542 for thread 1424
    MSI (s) (90:90): Creating MSIHANDLE (2) of type 0 for thread 1424
    MSI (s) (90:90): Failed to marshal script action.
    MSI (s) (90:90): Failed to marshal script action.
    MSI (s) (90:90): Closing MSIHANDLE (2) of type 0 for thread 1424
    MSI (s) (90:90): Closing MSIHANDLE (1) of type 790542 for thread 1424
    MSI (s) (90:90): Note: 1: 1708
    MSI (s) (90:90): Product: <Some XYZ package> -- Installation operation
    failed.

    The specialty of this MSI package is that it calls VBS functions.
    Installation aborts before VBS function is executed (during function call, I
    believe).
    Even if VBS function is an empty one the symptom is the same.

    This does not happen if package is installed locally, that is in Command
    Prompt on Windows
    node. This also does not happen if some other (commercial) SSH servers
    are used (e.g. MKS secshd, WinSSHD).

    OpenSSH is installed from latest package setupssh381-20040709.zip.
    Windows systems are Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows XP and Windows XP
    SP2.
    Version of cygwin1.dll is 1005.10.0.0.

    I personally believe that it must be something with threads. If I am right
    cygwin does not use Windows native threads.
    I would like to know if this is known behavior and if there is some patch or
    configuration setting to solve this problem?

    Best regards,
    Ludvik

    • Unable to install *.MSI package via OpenSSH
      ... I could not install MSI package using OpenSSH secure shell. ... The specialty of this MSI package is that it calls VBS functions. ... Installation aborts before VBS function is executed (during function call, ... Windows systems are Windows 2000 Advanced Server, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Unable to install *.MSI package via OpenSSH (cygwin threads?)
      ... I could not install MSI package using OpenSSH secure shell. ... Installation aborts after some time. ... The specialty of this MSI package is that it calls VBS functions. ... Command Prompt on Windows node. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: New Installation to SATA disks
      ... > I also have a new MSI K8N-Neo2 mobo and have a pair of Western Digital ... > with various installation scenarios and have not had any problems with XP ... > Windows lists two device drivers in the selection window. ...
    • Software Distribution - problem
      ... I try to install software using msi with mst. ... "An error occurred accessing the software installation data in the active ... To install each step with own msi package. ...
    • Batch Files / GUI Manipulation
      ... manipulate the graphical user interface in Windows through batch files (i.e. ... Something similar to the installation of Windows 95 where it brings up the ... the text field character by character and then run that command. ... I am aware of unattended installations and MSI stuff, ...