Replacing User Authentication Method (with version)

From: Greg Waltz (gwaltz_at_catalystcorp.com)
Date: 09/21/04

    Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:12:52 -0400
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    I am working on a system that runs sshd to allow access to a particular
    application on the system. There is a shell-type application that
    authenticates the user with the main application and provides the UI.
    Currently, the client must send a user name when connecting via ssh
    (i.e. ssh dummy@host). The user name, dummy, is a user in /etc/passwd
    that has no password. The sshd_config allows empty passwords so that the
    user goes directly to the shell application, which takes care of the
    actual user authentication.

    What I would like to do is to eliminate the dummy user and have
    authentication take place via the proprietary shell application. For
    example, I am already using agetty to do the same on non-network
    consoles: "agetty -n -l /usr/bin/myshell -L /dev/console_device bps
    term_type"
    Similarly, I am also using "in.telnetd -L /usr/bin/myshell" to do the
    same for telnet.

    What is a good way to replace/bypass ssh's user authentication?
    Is PAM the way to do something like that?

    I am using Open SSH 3.8.1p1.

    Thanks

    --
    Greg Waltz