Re: Multiple modes? throught one connection

From: Mike Friedman (mikef_at_ack.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 09/14/04

    Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Tim Nelson <tim.nelson@webalive.biz>

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 at 10:09 (+1000), Tim Nelson wrote:

    > Hi all. I often want to scp a file somewhere and then run it.
    > At the moment, I have to do an scp followed by an ssh (in a script) so I
    > need to type the password twice. Is there a way of linking the two
    > together somehow so that it will, through the one connection, trnasfer
    > the file, and then run the command? If so, is there somewhere that I
    > can find documentation on how to do this?

    Tim,

    Well, something like this might work (I haven't actually tried it):

      cat 'file' | ssh $Host 'cat > $File; chmod +x $File; $File'

    where '$File' is the name of the file on the remote system ('$Host').
    You'd be running three commands on the remote host, using only one ssh
    connection:

       cat > $File [to retrieve the file sent from stdout on the local
                        host to stdin on the remote host]
       chmod +x $File [to make the remote file executible]
       $File [To execute the remote file itself]

    (Tweak the above to suit your particular situation).

    The main difference between using scp and 'ssh ... cat' to transfer a file
    is that the latter doesn't preserve permissions and dates. If you can live
    without the date preservation, this should not be a problem.

    Mike

    Mike Friedman System and Network Security
    mikef@ack.Berkeley.EDU 2484 Shattuck Avenue
    1-510-642-1410 University of California at Berkeley
    http://ack.Berkeley.EDU/~mikef http://security.berkeley.edu