starting remote server(s) with ssh

From: k l (yoda_2732002_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/21/04

    Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi,

    How can I start a server on a remote
    host and disconnect while
    leaving the server running on the remote
    machine?

    I am trying sth like:
    ssh -n -x -l user host start_server.sh
    (I've used ssh-agent and ssh-add to enter
    my passphrase)

    The problem is that this keeps the ssh connection
    open(with or without output from the remote server).
    I would like to use this in a script which goes
    through a list of hosts and starts a server on
    each machine. I do not want to keep the ssh
    connection open or in the background as the list
    of remote hosts is fairly large.
    I am using OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 on Enterprise RedHat Linux
    v.3. This is probably a basic question that may
    have been covered on the list but I could not find
    an answer in the archives.

    Thank you for your help,

    kamen

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

    • Re: Xorg replacement?
      ... Perhaps you should read the Wayland FAQ... ... Is Wayland network transparent / does it support remote rendering? ... One such server could be the X.org ... ssh to a machine that is running an X server with a desktop. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • server securing issues
      ... have done some securing on my solaris server and ... Information about the remote host: ... Port ssh ... An SSH server is running on this port. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: restrict ssh access
      ... > We have one ssh server which receives about 6000 failed attempts to ... > unsuccessful login attempts per client IP address? ... the remote server is also running OpenSSH. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"
      ... host mail.harlley-consultants.com ... server rather than web server? ... If they have the right server software running (mail, web, ssh daemon) then that software picks up the request. ... When you want to send mail to xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, your mail server looks up the MX record for hartley-consultants and sends it to port 25 on the machine pointed to. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: Re: Remote connections
      ... Compliments of Cygwin you can setup a SSH server on ... connection through the SSH connection. ... Aside from creating a VPN tunnel and then performing a Remote Desktop ... Server Terminal Services and XP and 2003 server Remote Desktop machines. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)