Re: openssh-3.8.1p1 & Solaris 8 Installation Issue

Troy.Wilson_at_chi.frb.org
Date: 07/13/04

    To: "Joshua M. Brown" <jmb10@uark.edu>
    Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:38:20 -0500

    Try setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to the same value as CPPFLAGS.
    You'll also likely need to add the following for libraries:
    -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib

    P.S. - I believe that references to SSL header files are typically
    prefixed with openssl (e.g. #include <openssl/ssl.h>), so you might need
    to drop openssl from the -I definition.

    Troy Wilson
    Technology Group
    Systems Administrator
    312-322-5606

    "Joshua M. Brown" <jmb10@uark.edu>
    07/10/2004 12:19 AM

            To: Lauri Bettencourt <lbetten@ziplink.net>
            cc: secureshell@securityfocus.com
            Subject: Re: openssh-3.8.1p1 & Solaris 8 Installation Issue

    Lauri Bettencourt wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I am battling an install of openssh-3.8.1p1 on Solaris 8. It seesm
    > that no matter how I try to pass the include files to the ./configure it
    > keeps getting the error:
    >
    > checking OpenSSL header version... not found
    > configure: error: OpenSSL version header not found.
    >
    > openssl directory = /usr/local/ssl
    >
    > libraries = /usr/local/ssl/lib
    >
    > includes = /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl
    >
    > Here are some of my attempts at the config....
    >
    > CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include
    > -I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl" ./configure --with-md5-passwords
    > --with-prngd-socket=/var/spool/prngd/pool --with-tcp-wrappers
    > --disable-suid-ssh --prefix=/usr/local
    >
    > ./configure --with-md5-passwords
    > --with-prngd-socket=/var/spool/prngd/pool --with-tcp-wrappers
    > --disable-suid-ssh --prefix=/usr/local
    >
    > ./configure --with-md5-passwords
    > --with-prngd-socket=/var/spool/prngd/pool --with-tcp-wrappers
    > --disable-suid-ssh --prefix=/usr/local --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl
    >
    > I have copied the header files from /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl to
    > /usr/local/ssl/include ... still no luck
    >
    > Same error every time. :-(
    >
    > Anyone else run into this and have some pearls of wisdom I could use?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lauri-

    er.....k, this might not be ideal as Sunfreeware
    (http://www.sunfreeware.com/) often has binaries compiled with options
    you may not like, but they do have binaries up for OpenSSH 3.8.1p1 at
    this time, as well as the accompanying openssl (0.9.7d) that you will
    need :)

    Hope this helps. i like to "roll my own", but sometimes Sunfreeware and
    the packages they put out are major time savers.