Re: port forwarding without the shell

From: Rachan Malhotra (rMalhotra_at_freightdesk.com)
Date: 06/23/04

    Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:21:23 -0400
    To: Andrius Kurtinaitis <andrius.kurtinaitis@maf.vu.lt>

    The -N option allows you to only fwd ports and not do anything else. You
    can use it with -f to run your process in the background. I recently
    used Autossh (http://freshmeat.net/projects/autossh). It is a wrapper
    that allows you to create an always-alive tunnel in the background. You
    may want to see if you can it put to use.

    The drawback with -N is that it works from client side. I'd like to know
    if there is a server side option to restrict (some) users so that they
    can only connect to the ssh server for port fwding..

    cheers
    Rachan

    Andrius Kurtinaitis wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > is it possible to do "one-shot" port forwarding if I do not have any
    > valid shell on the ssh server, I can only use it for port forwarding.
    >
    > I read, that the normal way is to use -f and sleep 10. But I can not
    > sleep because I do not have any shell on the server side...
    >
    > Another question is - how can I start the port forwarding in the
    > background?
    > The problem is that openSSH requires a command if I want to use the
    > option -f ("Cannot fork into background without a command to
    > execute."). If I give some dummy command like "sleep 10", it sends it
    > and gets reply immediately (because there is no shell on the server)
    > and exits immediately...
    >
    > On the client side of ssh I use debian sarge or unstable
    > (OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian 1:3.8.1p1-4, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004).
    > On the server side, I suspect, there is also some linux with openSSH,
    > maybe Red Hat.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andrius Kurtinaitis

    • RE: Some technical errors
      ... If the SMTP server is not running on port 25 TCP it is not a public ... Manager - Computer Assurance Services BDO Chartered Accountants & ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Managing "capabilities" for security
      ... default tickets are held by the kernel and can be chosen by the parent ... The default ticket for any particular call is assumed unless the ... than to check that the server address on the ticket is good. ... the kernel had to invoke the RPC if the service port IN YOUR ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: SRV RRs support in Internet Explorer?
      ... The port number could be implicit (i.e. ... At any point in time, a server could fail ... can't effectively LB or backup because NSs cache the records for the TTL ... I still don't see how SRV records would help backup or LB. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
    • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
      ... I get 'cannot find server or dns error' on both ... TCP [port number]> to open the ports. ... As for error messages when I fail to access RWW with the laptop, ... network, no connection seems possible. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: cannot send mail from Windows mail
      ... When a username/password combination doesn't work in Windows Mail, ... I mean I dont use it but as outgoing address for my ISP account. ... youir username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Ask your home ISP if they support SMTP on a port other than 25. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)