port forwarding without the shell

From: Andrius Kurtinaitis (andrius.kurtinaitis_at_maf.vu.lt)
Date: 06/22/04

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:15:26 +0300
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello,

    is it possible to do "one-shot" port forwarding if I do not have any
    valid shell on the ssh server, I can only use it for port forwarding.

    I read, that the normal way is to use -f and sleep 10. But I can not
    sleep because I do not have any shell on the server side...

    Another question is - how can I start the port forwarding in the background?
    The problem is that openSSH requires a command if I want to use the
    option -f ("Cannot fork into background without a command to execute.").
    If I give some dummy command like "sleep 10", it sends it and gets reply
    immediately (because there is no shell on the server) and exits
    immediately...

    On the client side of ssh I use debian sarge or unstable
    (OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian 1:3.8.1p1-4, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004).
    On the server side, I suspect, there is also some linux with openSSH,
    maybe Red Hat.

    Thanks

    Andrius Kurtinaitis

    • Re: OT: Safe to access SSH server from work?
      ... an SSH server on it so I can access it from other computers at home. ... You probably need to configure a port forwarding on your router to port ... On a Windows system, I recommend using PuTTY. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: port forwarding without the shell
      ... > valid shell on the ssh server, I can only use it for port forwarding. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: port forwarding without the shell
      ... can only connect to the ssh server for port fwding.. ... > valid shell on the ssh server, I can only use it for port forwarding. ...
      (SSH)
    • [Openssh & TACACS+]Authneticating with TACACS+
      ... I need to authenticate at SSH server using an account whcih ... shell it should be owned by the same TACACS+ user. ... Another option is once authentication is successful, SSH server ...
      (SSH)
    • "automatic" port forwarding
      ... I have a ssh server where I'd like to configure a user so that he ... can only do port forwarding, e.g. he must not be able to execute commands ... The problem is that the user at the client side does not know which port to ... used as default shell), because it knows the correct port number. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)