Re: Empty passwords refused in OpenSSH 3.8p1

From: Sylvain Beucler (beuc_at_beuc.net)
Date: 05/28/04

    Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:53:43 +0200
    To: Darren Tucker <dtucker@zip.com.au>

    Darren Tucker wrote:
    > Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    >> I am trying to setup anonymous CVS over SSH. I created a 'anoncvs'
    >> user, and removed the password field in /etc/password.
    >
    > Redhat usually has its passwords in /etc/shadow (but I assume this is
    > a typo since you say it works in some configurations below).

    I just tried with /etc/shadow and it worked :)
    The default RH9 ssh *also* take /etc/passwd into account.

    However, I really cannot do the same with debian stable. 'su anoncvs'
    also asks for a password, but local login (physical access with
    keyboard) do not. anoncvs SSH access refuses to work whatever I set
    in /etc/password and/or /etc/shadow.

    Thanks,

    --
    Sylvain