Re: Speed

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 05/28/04

    Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:34:58 +1000
    To: Naim <naim@info.dk>

    Naim wrote:
    > I have been working with OpenSSH on a Debian system for quite some time.

    Which OpenSSH version?

    > I ran another test with a Pentium 3 800 Mhz downloading from my Debian
    > server. If I connect via sftp-server I get a speed of aprox 1Mbit. If I
    > connect with ftp or http, downloading the same file, I get 2Mbit.

    SSH has a much higher overhead than FTP or HTTP. That said, you can try
    different ciphers (arcfour or blowfish-cbc are usually fastest),
    enabling/disabling compression (depending on your relative quantities of
    bandwidth and CPU either could be faster) or bumping the sftp buffer
    size (the sftp -B option).

    If it takes a while to log in (I'm not sure what you're counting toward
    your throughput figures) there's a few possible causes:
    http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.3

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: tcsetpgrp()
      ... Which SSH implementation and version thereof are you running? ... On QNX the pty allocation process apparently ... In the next release of OpenSSH, ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH Connecting through Firewall
      ... >client to use HTTPS or FTP proxy. ... There is no such option in the OpenSSH ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Adding "X11UseLocalhost no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config breaks x forwarding
      ... telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused ... has been turned off either by Openssh or by Red Hat. ... feature or a bug I am unsure, there are warnings in the man page ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Solaris 9 sshd<---> Cygwin/X ssh Problems
      ... >uses a Solaris box as an sshd server? ... I don't know if this exists in SunSSH but for OpenSSH this can be caused ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Tacacs and OpenSSH
      ... attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH. ... There's a patch that may help at ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)