Re: Speed

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 05/28/04

    Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:34:58 +1000
    To: Naim <naim@info.dk>

    Naim wrote:
    > I have been working with OpenSSH on a Debian system for quite some time.

    Which OpenSSH version?

    > I ran another test with a Pentium 3 800 Mhz downloading from my Debian
    > server. If I connect via sftp-server I get a speed of aprox 1Mbit. If I
    > connect with ftp or http, downloading the same file, I get 2Mbit.

    SSH has a much higher overhead than FTP or HTTP. That said, you can try
    different ciphers (arcfour or blowfish-cbc are usually fastest),
    enabling/disabling compression (depending on your relative quantities of
    bandwidth and CPU either could be faster) or bumping the sftp buffer
    size (the sftp -B option).

    If it takes a while to log in (I'm not sure what you're counting toward
    your throughput figures) there's a few possible causes:
    http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.3

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.