Speed

From: Naim (naim_at_info.dk)
Date: 05/27/04

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:10:04 +0200

    Hi all!

    I have been working with OpenSSH on a Debian system for quite some time.

    I have run some tests and found that certain machine which connect via
    sftp-server
    only get half the bandwith they do if they connect with normal ftp.

    Someone surgested that it had to do with the power of the CPU of the machine
    which is downloading but the tests that I have run made a Pentium 3 500Mhz
    run smoothly at 3Mbit downloading a huge file.

    I ran another test with a Pentium 3 800 Mhz downloading from my Debian
    server. If I connect via sftp-server I get a speed of aprox 1Mbit. If I
    connect with ftp or http, downloading the same file, I get 2Mbit.

    Can this be fixed in some way? It's clearly not an issue of some kind of
    speed limit with sftp-server since I have done 3Mbit. I have testet the
    speed with different client software but it is the same result.

    Thanks in advance.