Re: OpenSSH

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 05/18/04

    Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:47:22 -0400
    To: Fernando Gomes Lima <flima@rio-de-janeiro.oilfield.slb.com>

    On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:03:33AM +0100, Fernando Gomes Lima wrote:
    > I checked with ps -ef | grep and prngd and sshd process are running.
    >
    > I checked with netstat -a and I have an port 22 listen. But when I try to
    > connect (even from localhost), I receive a "Connection closed by foreign
    > host.".

    That means the connection was, at some point, open. It was closed after
    having been answered already.

    Usually on a Linux box this is a sign that you have something awry in your
    /etc/hosts.deny file (TCP wrappers configuration). Another possibility
    is that the child process (sshd) is dying prematurely for some reason.
    I suppose PAM could also do it.

    Check your log files; if you don't find anything useful there, then run
    the server in debug mode (/path/to/sshd -d -d -d -p 2222) and connect
    to port 2222 in the client.

    • Maybe bug in openssh??
      ... I use "UsePam yes" to enabling authentication via PAM. ... First I try connecting to my linux box from Windows via Putty. ... Second i closing connection via "cross" in right top corner or "ALT + ... After closing connection ssh exit and dying right. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: PPPoE and ADSL problem (1 solution)
      ... >> shutdown from Win and then boot into Linux. ... > of evidence of win xp and linux dual booting and linux having connection ... > this is a bug or not? ... Boot windows. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)
      ... You should also make sure that your Linux kernel clock is set to the ... connection, is usually contained in two or three separate files. ... How To Upgrade/Recompile a Kernel. ... Read the manuals, or a good book on Unix and the manual pages (type ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)