Re: Scripting SSH connections

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 05/17/04

    Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:06:54 -0400
    To: Simon Burson <Simon.Burson@telecom.co.nz>

    On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 11:58:59AM +1200, Simon Burson wrote:
    > I would like to write a basic shell script (Linux - bash) that will make
    > an SSH connection to another machine, execute arbitrary commands, read
    > back the output and log off gracefully.

    Set up RSA or DSA authentication keys, and then there's no problem at
    all.

    imadev:~$ cp .ssh/id_rsa.pub .ssh/authorized_keys
    imadev:~$ ssh vandev ps -fu wooledg | sed 1d
     wooledg 3825 3823 0 09:05:23 ? 0:00 sshd: wooledg@notty
     wooledg 3826 3825 5 09:05:23 ? 0:00 ps -fu wooledg

    That sort of thing. The "log off gracefully" part is a no-op. The ssh
    command's output goes to stdout, so you can pipe it (as shown above),
    save it in a variable, save it to a file, or whatever you need to do.