Re: ssh version numbering...

From: Brian Hatch (
Date: 05/11/04

    Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 06:35:20 -0700
    To: Tim Traver <>

    > ok, this is a silly question, but I'm trying to make sure that I have all
    > of the right versions of things.
    > I recently updated my openssl to "OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004"
    > and I have compiled the latest openssh, but I get this when I do an ssh -V :
    > bash-2.05b# ssh -V
    > OpenSSH_3.8p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.6g 9 Aug 2002

    Clearly, you're compiling against the older OpenSSL code.

    When you finish the ./configure for OpenSSH, you'll see a screen
    about what paths it's planning using, the features that are on
    or off, etc. Check this and see where it's currently finding
    the 0.9.6g OpenSSL.

    Delete it, or move the old stuff elsewhere.

    Best is to point ./configure explicitly at your 0.9.7d code, with
    the '--with-ssl=/path/to/openssl/installation' option (hope
    that's right) or something like this:

            CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/opt/pkgs/openssl-0.9.6g/include"
            CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I/opt/pkgs/openssl-0.9.6g/include"
            LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/opt/pkgs/openssl-0.9.6g/lib"
            export CFLAGS CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS

            ./configure .....

    Brian Hatch                  Indecision is the key
       Systems and                to flexibility
       Security Engineer
    Every message PGP signed

    • Re: OpenSSL Speed Test Discrepency
      ... per@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Per Hedeland) wrote: ... and 'sysctl hw.model' (which the openssl code tried to use to ... felt like putting in some CPU register. ...
    • Unable to start server
      ... I compiled the openSSL code using cygwin(I downloaded ... But when I ran server as follows I got the ... Dinesh ...
    • Re: HEADS UP: OpenSSL problems after GCC 4.2 upgrade
      ... Could you try recompiling OpenVPN ... (and other apps/libs that make use of OpenSSL) ... The crashes I mentioned happen when I ... after compiling and linking). ...
    • upgrading OpenSSL
      ... I'm trying to upgrade my OpenSSL to the newest version (by compiling it ... Configuring for linux-k6 ...
    • Re: Larger binaries?
      ... My best guess is that the binaries grew because I updated the OpenSSL at the same time, and somehow using the newer version of OpenSSL made the binaries larger. ... > I've been compiling OpenSSH so often lately that I'm ... Registered Linux User #287649 ...