Re: SSh internal window size.. (again)

From: monster (m0nst3r_at_comcast.net)
Date: 04/29/04

    Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:56:14 +0000
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    the tcp ip send recive can be changed with sysctrl for the kernel, but the higher the size the more risk you have of corruption
    bsdvualt.net http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=35
    as far as changing the size for just ssh
    no clue,, hope this helps
    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:54:02 -0700
    Julian Elischer <julian@vicor.com> wrote:

    > sshd:
    > openssh version sshd version OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924
    > ssh:
    > OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
    >
    > So, I'm ssh-ing data from machine A to machine B using sftp.

    > with ping times of 60ms, I can't get over 600KB/sec
    >
    > looking at the SYN packats going over the wire, the negotiation looks like:
    > A->B S 1041192722:1041192722(0) win 65535
    > <mss 1460,nop,wscale 2,nop,nop,timestamp 20289777 0> (DF)
    > B->A S 1916098679:1916098679(0) ack 1041192723 win 57344
    > <mss 1460,nop,wscale 0,nop,nop,timestamp 616601895 20289777> (DF)
    >
    > the recv and send default buffer sizes are set to 128K, on both sides
    > window scaling is enable on both sides,
    > so one would think that larger windows would result and data would flow
    > faster, but..
    > no. it looks as if..
    >
    > (1) there is an internal windowing going on in the ssh protocol with a 64K
    > window size.. Is this changeable?).
    >
    > (2) sshd opens it's socket with a 57KB window anyhow, despite the
    > higher default window size.. is this true?
    >
    > Can these things be changed? it's be nice to be able to use ssh
    > to transfer data at the available bandwith..

    • Re: some attack to fedora machine .
      ... will compromise the BIOS, these will be cross platform, they will affect ... F8 installation last December. ... Each and every time the invader came in through ssh. ... Window$ maybe Window$, and *nix *nix, but because window ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Remote login, graphically?
      ... I can already login via SSH and fix things with a text editor. ... Now, I'd like to start several X programs on her machine, but have the user interface on my machine. ... However, when I start "firefox", I get the following error after some time waiting: ... The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Setting Column and Row Size
      ... I've been coding an SSH client for fun and learning, and I've noticed that my server sends "\r" characters after every 80 characters of output. ... How can I have my client set the row and column size? ... I would like to do this dynamically when the window is resized as well. ...
      (comp.terminals)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] SSH Exploit Request
      ... *your* ssh can still go away if something else does a runaway and runs ... What use is an open SSH window, Mr Anderson, if you have no character echo? ... in a failure cascade - when one sysadmin is installing software during a 2AM ... test window and he's tired and cranky because instead of getting some sleep, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: persistent emacs a la screen?
      ... I solved this problem using something called tightVNC. ... should be a lot easier to install in the future. ... with tightVNC you run an X desktop (with a window ... from outside through SSH using a viewer. ...
      (comp.emacs)