Re: authentication failure log message

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 04/30/04

    Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:18:46 +1000
    To: "Greene, Chris" <Chris.Greene@i-structure.com>

    Greene, Chris wrote:
    [...]
    > I've been working on a Perl script
    > that creates an SSH object that will allow to log into a server and let
    > me interactively run some commands. As soon as I try to connect I
    > receive the following:
    >
    > Permission denied, please try again.
    > Permission denied, please try again.
    > Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

    This happens when ssh has no controlling terminal or can't open /dev/tty
      to ask for the password (eg if the perms on /dev/tty are wrong).

    Possible soulutions are:
    * using the "Expect" perl module to provide a controlling tty, then
    provide the password via that tty
    * using public-key authentication
    * abusing SSH_ASKPASS to provide the password to SSH over a descriptor

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: redhat-list Digest, Vol 84, Issue 5
      ... I am well aware that this mailing list is purely for REDHAT, ... Re: RHEL4 Sun Java Messaging Server deadlock (was: ... Issue with SSH ... How to add a perl script as a system startup daemon in redhat ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: How Can I use ssh in my perl code
      ... at remote m/c, which we can do with ssh. ... connecting to remote m/c once we execute the perl script through ssh. ... The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • In-Line file edit over SSH with ksh and perl script
      ... In-Line file edit over SSH with ksh and perl script ... self writing shell scripts which do various tasks over SSH using key- ... $FILE && exit 100" ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: ssh processes lingering after scp
      ... The command issued by the perl script is: ... Was it Solaris? ... implementation of ssh. ... I found the problem went away when I removed the sun ssh implementation, ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: scp in non-interactive sessions problem?
      ... therefore in non-interactive mode. ... The problem is that ssh wants to read the password from its controlling ... You can either spawn ssh with a controlling tty from your app, ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)