Re: authentication failure log message

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 04/30/04

    Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:18:46 +1000
    To: "Greene, Chris" <Chris.Greene@i-structure.com>

    Greene, Chris wrote:
    [...]
    > I've been working on a Perl script
    > that creates an SSH object that will allow to log into a server and let
    > me interactively run some commands. As soon as I try to connect I
    > receive the following:
    >
    > Permission denied, please try again.
    > Permission denied, please try again.
    > Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

    This happens when ssh has no controlling terminal or can't open /dev/tty
      to ask for the password (eg if the perms on /dev/tty are wrong).

    Possible soulutions are:
    * using the "Expect" perl module to provide a controlling tty, then
    provide the password via that tty
    * using public-key authentication
    * abusing SSH_ASKPASS to provide the password to SSH over a descriptor

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.