Re: how would I tunnell usinsg open ssh

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 04/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:03:42 -0400
    To: Ralph Blach <chipper@us.ibm.com>

    On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:07:57AM -0400, Ralph Blach wrote:
    > he is behind a filre wall and and so am I. I have my router set up to
    > forward to all ssh request to my server machine.
    >
    > What I would like is to create a separate IP which are on the same
    > network so that we could use speak freely.

    What you're describing here is a Virtual Private Network (VPN), using
    ssh as the underlying transport mechanism. I've never done it before,
    but apparently it's possible to use PPP over ssh to set up a VPN.

    Google gave me many good hits for "vpn over ssh" (the first of which,
    <http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/Projects/vpn/>, talks about the PPP setup
    I mentioned above).

    • Re: Relationship SSH <-> VPN ??
      ... > I am wondering about the relationsship of the technologies of VPN vs. SSH. ... Virtual Private Network is a concept that goes back to the old telephone ... The favourite today is IPSec. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: What is a VPN?
      ... >> Virtual Private Network. ... It's nothing like ssh. ... Depends if you set your default route over the VPN or not. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: IPSec VPN into XP Pro
      ... This page has more information concerning the XP VPN... ... As far as SSH is concerned, I just think its a whole lot easier for home users like myself to setup ... a few consumer grade routers and the problems encountered getting a PPTP tunnel through them... ... > tunnel and set up secure redirections via command line. ...
    • Re: Relationship SSH <-> VPN ??
      ... I'm not sure whether you're most probably referring to *SSL* vs. VPN, ... and not SSH. ... A Virtual Private Network, VPN, is a secure "network" built on top of ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Relationship SSH <-> VPN ??
      ... I'm not sure whether you're most probably referring to *SSL* vs. VPN, ... and not SSH. ... A Virtual Private Network, VPN, is a secure "network" built on top of ...
      (comp.security.ssh)