Re: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 - passwd -f does not work

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 04/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:29:15 +1000
    To: Michael Selvesteen <selvesteen@netscape.net>

    Michael Selvesteen wrote:

    > I just compiled OpenSSH 3.8.1.p1 using OpenSSL 0.9.7c on HP-UX 11.11
    > machine and works fine.I encountered a problem when as a root I issued
    > the command "passwd -f someuser". when I logon to the server I was not
    > prompted for a password change, however if I telnet to the server I was
    > prompted for a password change. Interestingly this happens only when I
    > start the server with "UsePAM no" but when I set "UsePAM yes" I am
    > prompted for password change for expired passwords.
    >
    > Here's my configuration
    >
    > * HP-UX 11.11.
    > * No shadow password installed.
    > * System under untrusted mode.

    That should work. What authentication method did you use to log in?
    Password expiry will not be checked for non-password authentications.

    > This behavior is also seen in OpenSSH 3.7.1.p1.
    > I need to get a password change prompt when an user logon through ssh
    > whose password had already expired while the server runs with "UsePAM
    > no' configuration. Any help will be highly appreciated.

    Please open a bug at bugzilla.mindrot.org and attach the output from the
    server running in debug mode (eg /path/to/sshd -ddd -p 2022).

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.