OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 - passwd -f does not work

From: Michael Selvesteen (selvesteen_at_netscape.net)
Date: 04/20/04

    Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:43:45 +0530
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello All,

    I just compiled OpenSSH 3.8.1.p1 using OpenSSL 0.9.7c on HP-UX 11.11
    machine and works fine.I encountered a problem when as a root I issued
    the command "passwd -f someuser". when I logon to the server I was not
    prompted for a password change, however if I telnet to the server I was
    prompted for a password change. Interestingly this happens only when I
    start the server with "UsePAM no" but when I set "UsePAM yes" I am
    prompted for password change for expired passwords.

    Here's my configuration

         * HP-UX 11.11.
         * No shadow password installed.
         * System under untrusted mode.

    This behavior is also seen in OpenSSH 3.7.1.p1.
    I need to get a password change prompt when an user logon through ssh
    whose password had already expired while the server runs with "UsePAM
    no' configuration. Any help will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks for help
    Michael