OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 - passwd -f does not work

From: Michael Selvesteen (selvesteen_at_netscape.net)
Date: 04/20/04

    Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:43:45 +0530
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello All,

    I just compiled OpenSSH 3.8.1.p1 using OpenSSL 0.9.7c on HP-UX 11.11
    machine and works fine.I encountered a problem when as a root I issued
    the command "passwd -f someuser". when I logon to the server I was not
    prompted for a password change, however if I telnet to the server I was
    prompted for a password change. Interestingly this happens only when I
    start the server with "UsePAM no" but when I set "UsePAM yes" I am
    prompted for password change for expired passwords.

    Here's my configuration

         * HP-UX 11.11.
         * No shadow password installed.
         * System under untrusted mode.

    This behavior is also seen in OpenSSH 3.7.1.p1.
    I need to get a password change prompt when an user logon through ssh
    whose password had already expired while the server runs with "UsePAM
    no' configuration. Any help will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks for help
    Michael

    • Re: Frontpage 2003 no longer edits the website live.
      ... server asks for user/pass. ... Frontpage would, of course, prompt me for the logon ... > No prompts for a logon like before, ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
    • Re: direct ftp url to file assumes anonymous logon and doesnt prompt for user and password
      ... what's the request got in ftp log? ... The server is Windows Server ... and password then IIS assumes anonymous and does not prompt for the logon ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • direct ftp url to file assumes anonymous logon and doesnt prompt for user and password
      ... The server is Windows Server ... The following example would assume anonymous and will not prompt for a logon ... to be prompted for and, since there is no anonymous access, that does not ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
    • RE: User Password Prompt
      ... I enabled "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" after ... password prompt before being able to change the password. ... Outlook will prompt the user for their credentials. ... Server 2008 but it is a member server and for testing. ...
    • Server Logon
      ... I don't know what has changed but recently, I am getting a prompt to enter my ... user name and password to logon to my server. ... Dave ...