ClientAliveInterval and -N

From: André Cruz (afafc_at_rnl.ist.utl.pt)
Date: 04/18/04

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:22:48 +0100

    Hello.
    I'm trying to keep a ssh tunnel alive but it keeps timing out in the
    firewall.

    I used the ClientAliveInterval option in the sshd server and if I establish
    my tunnels without the -N option (getting a shell), I notice the ssh bogus
    traffic when the connection is idle, but if I use the -N option I don't get
    that traffic. The connection dies down after a long idle period. And both
    the server and client only notice it because of the TCP keepalive after a
    long time.

    Is this the normal behavior?
    Thank you

    PS- My openssh versions are OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
    0x0090701f
    FC1