ClientAliveInterval and -N

From: André Cruz (afafc_at_rnl.ist.utl.pt)
Date: 04/18/04

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:22:48 +0100

    Hello.
    I'm trying to keep a ssh tunnel alive but it keeps timing out in the
    firewall.

    I used the ClientAliveInterval option in the sshd server and if I establish
    my tunnels without the -N option (getting a shell), I notice the ssh bogus
    traffic when the connection is idle, but if I use the -N option I don't get
    that traffic. The connection dies down after a long idle period. And both
    the server and client only notice it because of the TCP keepalive after a
    long time.

    Is this the normal behavior?
    Thank you

    PS- My openssh versions are OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
    0x0090701f
    FC1

    • Re: Recent OpenSSH releases not reading .bashrc for ssh commands
      ... their .bashrc will no longer get them without engaging in..... ... ssh can invoke bash without it then reading .bashrc. ... which svn", the .bashrc is no longer read. ... you're on RHEL 5, you've installed an updated OpenSSH, and you try to ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: two SSH compatibility scenarios: can it work?
      ... We are required to use SSH to log into the Engineering lab machines. ... > server software displays this header upon telnet connection to port 22. ... I still use Windows on my notebook for application compatibility. ... > running OpenSSH 3.4p1. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: OpenSSH, Telnet, Windows Authentication and double-hops
      ... deployment on a Windows network. ... Does this mean that you are setting SSH port forwarding ... does not provide the other side with either a Kerberos ticket, ... We're focusing on the OpenSSH for Windows distribution. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH / SFTP troubles
      ... That manual needs an overhaul or a rewrite, and the whole of the TCP/IP ... Don't bother looking there on the older TCP/IP Services ssh releases, ... see what's going on there is to enable debugging within the sshd server ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: ssh compatability issues
      ... >> without keeping two versions of ssh around on my home computer. ... running the OpenSSH server that comes with Solaris ... By 'some old security problems with that' I was not sure if you meant ...
      (comp.security.ssh)