RE: files with a colon?

From: Steve Dimoff (sdimoff_at_usnetworksinc.com)
Date: 04/14/04

    To: 'Matt Richard' <matt.richard@fandm.edu>, secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:48:44 -0400

    How about these:

    scp ldap3.example.org* matt@matt.example.org:/

    if that doesn't work, what about:

    scp ldap3.example.org?0.rej matt@matt.example.org:/

    Those work for me...

    Good luck!

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Matt Richard [mailto:matt.richard@fandm.edu]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 5:27 AM
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Subject: files with a colon?

    Alright, surely someone has asked this before! But I cannot find a
    reference to help me.

    How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename?

    Specifically I'm looking at OpenLDAP's rejection log files.

    I've tried single and double quotes, and even backslash - colon,
    which often works on Mac OSX. But nothing works!

    the filename is ldap3.example.org:0.rej

    When I do "scp ldap3.example.org:0.rej matt@matt.example.org:~/", scp
    asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt.
    The same thing happens if I do "scp *.rej matt@matt.example.org:~/".

    I know I could modify the openldap code to use a different character,
    but that doesn't help me with stock servers.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    --
    Matt Richard
    Access and Security Coordinator

    • files with a colon?
      ... How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ... asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: files with a colon?
      ... > How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ... > asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: (pathname "/tmp/foo/bar/") vs (pathname "/tmp/foo/bar")
      ... colon in it to scp and see what happens. ... named unix you might just insist that any filename with a colon in it ... must be prefix with unix:. ... think what is at issue here is: Who and what are namestrings really ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: finding documents
      ... Word would not allow you to save with a colon in the filename, ... Suzanne S. Barnhill ... Microsoft MVP ...
      (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
    • Re: xls to cvs format
      ... As far as I remember, correct syntax for named arguments include colon, ... you use colon for the second argument. ... > Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook ... > Dim FileName As String ...
      (microsoft.public.vb.database.ado)