RE: files with a colon?

From: Steve Dimoff (sdimoff_at_usnetworksinc.com)
Date: 04/14/04

    To: 'Matt Richard' <matt.richard@fandm.edu>, secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:48:44 -0400

    How about these:

    scp ldap3.example.org* matt@matt.example.org:/

    if that doesn't work, what about:

    scp ldap3.example.org?0.rej matt@matt.example.org:/

    Those work for me...

    Good luck!

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Matt Richard [mailto:matt.richard@fandm.edu]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 5:27 AM
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Subject: files with a colon?

    Alright, surely someone has asked this before! But I cannot find a
    reference to help me.

    How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename?

    Specifically I'm looking at OpenLDAP's rejection log files.

    I've tried single and double quotes, and even backslash - colon,
    which often works on Mac OSX. But nothing works!

    the filename is ldap3.example.org:0.rej

    When I do "scp ldap3.example.org:0.rej matt@matt.example.org:~/", scp
    asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt.
    The same thing happens if I do "scp *.rej matt@matt.example.org:~/".

    I know I could modify the openldap code to use a different character,
    but that doesn't help me with stock servers.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    --