files with a colon?

From: Matt Richard (matt.richard_at_fandm.edu)
Date: 04/14/04

    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:26:46 -0400
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Alright, surely someone has asked this before! But I cannot find a
    reference to help me.

    How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename?

    Specifically I'm looking at OpenLDAP's rejection log files.

    I've tried single and double quotes, and even backslash - colon,
    which often works on Mac OSX. But nothing works!

    the filename is ldap3.example.org:0.rej

    When I do "scp ldap3.example.org:0.rej matt@matt.example.org:~/", scp
    asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt.
    The same thing happens if I do "scp *.rej matt@matt.example.org:~/".

    I know I could modify the openldap code to use a different character,
    but that doesn't help me with stock servers.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    --
    Matt Richard
    Access and Security Coordinator

    • Re: files with a colon?
      ... The key solution seems to be including the pathname in the file that ... >How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: files with a colon?
      ... > How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ... > asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt. ...
      (SSH)
    • RE: files with a colon?
      ... How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ... asks me for the password on ldap3 instead of the password on matt. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: files with a colon?
      ... > How do I use scp to copy a file with a colon in the filename? ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: scp: no sharing violation while copying
      ... I am doing copies between linux and windows machines using scp. ... So, have the remote system copy the file to a tmp filename, and when it ...
      (comp.security.ssh)