SSH environment variable passing

From: Gerson Galang (gerson.galang_at_adelaide.edu.au)
Date: 03/25/04

    Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:54:59 +1030
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Dear OpenSSH developers,

    I just want to know how I can enable the functionality of forwarding the
    environment varibles through SSH. I've searched google but I did not
    really find any howto on this topic.

    There was also a message sent to another mailing list:
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=102590367411189&w=2
    which mentioned about ForwardEnv and EnvApproved, but I couldn't find
    their entries on ssh_config(5) & sshd_config(5) files.

    What I want to do is for machine b to have an access to an environment
    variable (PROJECT_ID) that I've set on machine a. Is this possible? This
    topic has already been discussed on a number of sites that I've visited
    but I just couldn't see a real example of how this can be done.

    Thanks,
    Gerson

    • Re: Partial SNAFUs - X11Forwarding etc.
      ... to the base server machine via SSH, or it it also supposed to protect ... back "up the line" to the client machine? ... the ssh server host is compromised or otherwise untrustworthy, ... refrain from running the program via ssh X11 forwarding - there's no ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Whats the deal on the -X vs -Y thing?
      ... As a quick fix you could use something like this as your remote ssh ... chain is compromised (eg at either the tty layer, X11 forwarding port ... forwarding would not be needed on the intermediate hosts. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Openssh Port Forwarding Confusion
      ... >Now for my Port forwarding question. ... So far what I have extracted about ssh port ... You connect to a port on the SSH client. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: [SLE] export DISPLAY and xhost +
      ... >>impression that remote X using DISPLAY travels over ssh just because you ... > X11 and TCP forwarding ... the connection to the X11 display is auto­ ... and the connection to the real X server will be made from the ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: ssh -X shop problem...
      ... somethings gone fubar in the X11 forwarding. ... When you "su" to gene on the X terminal, ... neither can he forward X over ssh. ... classic conditions, you'd use xhost to allow access from a remote host, ...
      (Fedora)