Re: Strange SCP problem

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 03/23/04

    Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:21:45 +1100
    To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>

    Adam Shostack wrote:

    > On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:51:01PM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
    > | Adam Shostack wrote:
    > | >I'm having a problem where I can copy files from a server to my
    > | >laptop, but not the other way. It's not the scp failure listed in FAQ
    > | >2.9, that test works fine.
    > | >
    > | >When I attempt to do a copy, I see the "progress bar" go, the file is
    > | >created on the other side, and I get an eventual time-out.
    > |
    > | Maybe this?
    > | http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html
    >
    > Bing! Give the man a gold star!
    >
    > Any advice on path mtu discovery tools that let me set something
    > bigger than 576?

    Depends on what the network between client and server looks like, what
    packet types your firewall allows, the TCP stack parameters, the phase
    of the moon, prevailing winds....

    You can try experimenting with ping and different packet sizes, but
    again that depends on what your network allows.

    Trial-and-error is probably your best bet. Keep cranking it up until it
    fails then drop it down to just below that. If your hosts support it,
    you can try relying on TCP Path MTU Discovery (but if that worked in
    your environment you should have never had a problem).

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: Strange SCP problem
      ... Adam Shostack wrote: ... > I'm having a problem where I can copy files from a server to my ... > laptop, ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Strange SCP problem
      ... |>I'm having a problem where I can copy files from a server to my ... |>laptop, ... Any advice on path mtu discovery tools that let me set something ...
      (SSH)