Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 03/19/04

    Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:34:24 -0500
    To: Ken.Simpson@marsh.com

    On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 04:48:21PM -0500, Ken.Simpson@marsh.com wrote:
    > I need to install SSH on HP-UX 10.20, which is no longer supported by HP.
    > Can someone tell me which SSH release I could use and any other hints ?

    OpenSSH compiles just fine on HP-UX 10.20 for me using gcc.

    You'll need (or *strongly* want):

      gcc (I'm using 3.2.2, but other versions should also work)
      perl5 (I'm using 5.6)
      EGD or PRNGd (see the INSTALL file)
      zlib
      OpenSSL
      OpenSSH

    Once you have gcc and perl5 in place, the rest is pretty easy. Make sure
    EGD is running before you attempt to "make install" OpenSSH, so that it
    can generate the host keys. You'll probably want to start both of them
    (in the proper order) at boot time; I'm attaching my /sbin/init.d/ssh
    script, which you may find useful. Don't forget to create a privilege
    separation user account (sshd).

    The only other gotcha I can think of pertains to X11 Forwarding. If you
    plan to use that feature, you may need to add:

      X11UseLocalhost no

    to the sshd_config file. If you don't want X11 Forwarding, or if you only
    use a certain subset of X client programs, then this may not be an issue.

    • Re: The miracles of HP-UX 11.31 (and Data Protector)
      ... can anybody explain why HP-UX 11.31 needs that much space in /stand? ... The default sizes of /stand and / had not changed prior to 11.31 release for very many years. ... automated cold installs via Ignite-UX require the install kernel and install file system to be placed in /stand to start the install process. ... system firmware so that default configuration is less sensitive to ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
    • Re: trojaned SSHD ?
      ... I'd recommend moving to OpenSSH, which supports both ssh1 and ssh2 ... platforms, including Solaris. ... Information relevant to the installation of SSH on NCMIR systems. ... * Install Zlib 1.1.2 libraries, compiling from source, on Solaris and IRIX ...
      (Focus-SUN)
    • Re: Authentication failed suddenly
      ... I had to play the gcc re-installation game to get OpenSSH 3.4p1 to ... this is absolutely no reason to tell people to stay away from ... On both the Solaris installs I did, I built with the default privsep ... actually the 'make install' did the latter for me) - ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • RE: OpenSSH b0rked (was RE: Problems with IPFW patch)
      ... fix was the config file. ... No reboots or restarting sshd necessary. ... > Subject: RE: OpenSSH b0rked ... >> annoying install sequence - you can't define where it gets ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: OpenSSL/0.9.7c-p1 & OpenSSH_3.5p1
      ... which means that all known bugs in OpenSSL and OpenSSH will have been ... If you install from ports, there is a facility for you to install the ... port in such a way as to overwrite the equivalents in the base system. ... Otherwise, if you choose to upgrade to a different source branch, you ...
      (freebsd-questions)