Re: [OpenSSH] public key problem

From: Darren Tucker (
Date: 03/18/04

    Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:19:33 +1100
    To: "M. Sokolewicz" <>

    M. Sokolewicz wrote:
    > The problem I'm having is the following:
    > I am trying to authenticate using public/private key authentication.
    > When doing this as root, I can pass trough effortlessly, it takes the
    > public key, and works fine... When I try the same thing with a different
    > username, it doesn't work.

    Probably the file or directory permissions:

    Failing that, running the server in debug mode will show why the
    authentication is denied:

    Darren Tucker (dtucker at
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: SFTP clients and certificates
      ... support for X.509 *per se*. ... The ssh2 spec does support public/private key authentication using RSA or ... X.509 certificates in a SAF keyring, and ICSF crypto services ... will be used to sign authentication requests using the private key ...
    • Re: Cannot su to root from logged in user
      ... >only however I cannot su to root as I was able to do ... SSH reports an authentication failure. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    • Re: scp works on command line, fails in cron
      ... I have set up public/private key ... | authentication many times and have not had the sort of problem I am ... When I try to do the same thing from cron, ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - ...
    • Re: authentication method shell variable?
      ... for authentication. ... that members of the admin group can only log in using public/private key ...
    • Re: Royalty free crypto library?
      ... > public/private key based authentication. ... I am neither math, nor crypto ...