Explicitly change the DISPLAY variable in ssh

From: Divakara, Vivek Palyam (UMKC-Student) (vpdvdb_at_umkc.edu)
Date: 03/15/04

    Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:31:58 -0600
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

    Can you please xplain me how to explicitly change the DISPLAY variable in ssh.

    The following is specified in "man ssh":

                 "The user should
                 normally not set DISPLAY explicitly, as that will render the X11
                 connection insecure (and will require the user to manually copy
                 any required authorization cookies)."

    I have a program which starts in the remote machine thru ssh & connects to my Xserver from default ssh port localhost:10 & this program now listens for any new clients on some other port say unix:11 & forwards the clients to localhost:10. For this to work i need to change DISPLAY variable of the ssh terminal to unix:11. once i do this & start a Xclient i get an error message:

     " X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication".

    Can someone let me know how to change the DISPLAY variable of the ssh terminal

    Thanks
    Vivek

    • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
      ... The above indicates that the only two methods of authentication ... I did *not* enable the publickey or ... keyboard-interactive methods in my client. ... being advertised by the SSH server on the Mac client? ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: authentication problem
      ... I have an authentication issue with ssh that i'd like to ask for clues ... but owner? ... Could you make sure ~/.ssh on both machines is only read/write ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
      ... a Terminal window on the Mac and try "ssh localhost". ... authentication methods, and is either of those preferred from a security ... the most secure configuration will offer the least amount ... If you want to harden your SSH server, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Setting up SSH on Snow Leopard
      ... The above indicates that the only two methods of authentication the SSH ... server is allowing are publickey and keyboard-interactive. ... client is trying to use, so presumably that could be a reason it is failing. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: sshd handing all authentication to shell
      ... >I would like to use SSH for transport only into an embedded device. ... >login/password authentication but since it is using SSH for transport, ... You don't state what SSH server you're planning to use, ... I believe that in principle a client should be able to request ...
      (comp.security.ssh)