sshd does not die when client issues control-C or closes

From: Paul Myers (pmyers_at_spectracomcorp.com)
Date: 03/12/04

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:00:06 -0500

    I have been tesing OpenSSH sshd running under uClinux using Putty, Terraterm
    with ssh, and Redhat and found that whenever I close a connection with
    control-C my child shells die but the sshd -i daemon keeps running and holds
    a PTY.
    If I use the x to close the Putty tool both the sshd -i daemon and the child
    processes using 1 PTY keep running.
    Has anyone seen this and do you know if there might be a configuration
    issue? Also, I set my Client Keep alive parameters to issue 4 requests every
    15 seconds. But this does not shutdown the system either.
    KeepAlive yes
    ClientAliveInterval 15
    ClientAliveCountMax 4

    Thanks,
    Paul

    • Re: ssh2
      ... That's why putty can't detect that there's a problem, because it doesn't have the *correct* values, and so doesn't know that there is now an incorrect host key machine at the end of the socket. ... The worrying thing is that since the sshd now asks for ssh2 protocol only, there is a new sshd operating, one you didn't install, and one which may be copying keystroke data (login names and passwords) to some unauthorized other site. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: possibly compromised redhat 7.2 box
      ... sshd is running on the server, the firewall port is open, etc. ... down my access to ssh. ... | PuTTY has been upgraded recently, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: puTTY and debian
      ... > installed} refuses to accept ssh logins via putty. ... Is there a way} to turn on logging for sshd? ... Below is an example of the failed login without the options above: ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: puTTY and debian
      ... } windows machines to debian systems. ... } refuses to accept ssh logins via putty. ... } does the pre-compiled sshd requires? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: possibly compromised redhat 7.2 box UPDATE
      ... Checked it out and found the suckit rootkit on that box as well as 4 others. ... check which SSH protocols sshd is allowing (probably ... using (if PuTTY, look under Connection->SSH). ...
      (Security-Basics)