Re: HP-UX: ssh connections ignore CTRL+C interrupts

peter.kielbasiewicz_at_philips.com
Date: 03/10/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:16:44 +0100

    peter.kielbasiewicz@philips.com wrote:

    >My compilation of openssh on HPUX (3.6, 3.7 and 3.8) all ignore the
    >interrupt key (Ctrl-C).
    >In an archived discussion I found that sshd inherits tty settings upon
    >invocation and thus has no setting for INTR when not started from a
    >regular shell.
    >
    >Does someone have a solution to this problem?
    >How can I get sshd started at system boot so that it does not ignore
    >Ctrl-C?

    I think my issue needs some clarification.
    When I start sshd from an interactive shell, everything works fine.
    My shell has "stty intr '^C'" and thus the sshd inherits this setting so
    that all ssh clients connecting to it can use Ctrl-C for interrupting
    processes.
    The issue is that at system boot sshd is started from a startup script run
    by init and not from a tty.
    If I add an stty command to this script I get an error telling me that
    there is no tty.
    Because the startup script has no tty it has no setting for 'intr' and so
    Ctrl-C does not work.
    This can be very awkward if you have a hanging command and the only thing
    you can do then is to kill the whole ssh session.

    So the problem can be reduced to get a tty or pty attached to the startup
    process so that 'intr' can be set correctly before it starts the sshd
    daemon process.

    --
    best regards
      Peter Kielbasiewicz

       Philips Medizin Systeme B÷blingen GmbH
       Peter Kielbasiewicz Phone:  +49 (7031) 463-1893
       Building 5 CMS-B IT (2C9)                                       FAX :
    +49 (7031) 463-2944
       Hewlett-Packard-Strasse 2
       71034 Boeblingen e-mail:  Peter.Kielbasiewicz@philips.com

      Jochen M. Franke, Dr. Werner Haas (Sprecher), David Russell, Wolfgang
    Strenzl
      Sitz der Gesellschaft: B÷blingen
      Registergericht B÷blingen Reg.-Nr. HRB 5187

    • Re: HP-UX: ssh connections ignore CTRL+C interrupts
      ... > interrupt key (Ctrl-C). ... > In an archived discussion I found that sshd inherits tty settings upon ... any settings made in establishing the sshd. ... personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: openssh/su broken
      ... Please fix you tty problem first. ... Sshd need tty to su. ... support your tty. ... > If I log in as root, I can su to any user but as the new user su won't work. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)