Re: How do I change the number of logon opportunities from 3 to 1

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 03/10/04

    Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:13:38 +1100
    To: chipper@us.ibm.com

    Ralph Blach wrote:
    > I know this is basic question, but I spent an hour trying to find the
    > answer last night.
    > sshd is my only method of logging into my system. I do not run telnet or
    > ftp. I want to know
    > how do I change the number of logon opportunties from 3 to 1.
    > I am running RedHat 9.0 on an amd x86 with sshd rpm version being
    > openssh-server-3.5p1-6

    Currently in OpenSSH this is not configurable at run time. You can
    change it at compile time by editing auth.h and changing AUTH_FAIL_MAX
    (which defaults to 6), but be aware that attempts at public-key
    authentication count too, so if you change that to 1 then many clients
    will not be able to authenticate at all.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: Only allow public/private key authentication ?
      ... 'PasswordAuthentication' configuration option. ... I have disabled the PasswordAuthentication option but my sshd server ... authentication via password then sshd can also authenticate you via ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Rhosts authentication with openssh 3.7
      ... >I know that rhosts based authentication is HEAVILY unsecured but in my ... $OpenBSD CVS tags but you can ignore those). ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: FamilySearch Wiki Barn Raising for England
      ... judgement of what is 'incorrect and inferior material'. ... As I've said in other postings in this thread, there are plenty of wiki ... authentication, and even written one from scratch for a client. ...
      (soc.genealogy.britain)
    • Re: configure password prompt in SSH
      ... OpenBSD machine is using "password" authentication, ... the prompt is supplied by the server (via ... > I have searched the openssh web, read the man pages of ssh_config and ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Does Public Key Authentication offer additional security over SSH/SFTP
      ... Does setting this up provide an extra layer of security ... in that the private key is much harder for an attacker to guess ... authentication where the client proves to the server that it has access ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)