asking passphrase only on first use

From: Mathieu Doidy (mdoidy_at_roulaize.net)
Date: 03/07/04

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:27:50 +0000 (UTC)

    Hi,

    I am using ssh-agent and ssh-add as part of the authorization
    process for remote login. I was wondering if it was
    possible to have the prompt for the passphrase only when really
    required and not when ssh-add is started.

    In the case where different keys are used (it seems to be a good
    idea not to use the same key everywhere but i might be wrong),
    for the moment, you have to enter the passphrase for all of them
    even if you won't use them. In the case where ssh-add is started
    in the .xinitrc/.xsession, it can be quite cumbersome to enter
    5 passphrases in a row independently of the fact you will use
    the associated keys or not during that session.

    I may be wrong about the concepts of ssh-agent/ssh-add
    but any help about the described case would be appreciated

    Sidenote: in openssh-3.8p1/contrib/README, the url for X11 SSH Askpass
    is outdated, the correct url is :
         http://www.jmknoble.net/software/x11-ssh-askpass/

    Thanks in advance,

      Mathieu Doidy