Re: SSH with OpenSSH and Putty - Please Help!

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 03/02/04

    Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:30:54 -0500
    To: "Armour, Aaron J (BearingPoint)" <aarmour@bearingpoint.net>

    > I generated a key
    > pair, copied the public key to the files of authorized_keys and
    > authorized_keys2 in a the /.ssh/ directory on my server. I used keys and
    > keys2 because some internet info says to name the file keys and some says
    > keys2.

    authorized_keys2 was used by OpenSSH version 2.* for the new Protocol2
    keys. In OpenSSH 3.*, authorized_keys is used for both Protocol1 and
    Protocol2 keys -- but, for backward compatibility with version 2.*, it
    will also respect authorized_keys2 if it finds one.

    Unless you have some OpenSSH 2.* boxes lying about, you should use
    authorized_keys.