ssh hangs (openssh stop/start fixes problem)

From: Spurgeon, John P (john.p.spurgeon_at_intel.com)
Date: 02/21/04

    Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:05:31 -0800
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

    I'm using openssh on Solaris 7 (Intel):

    % uname -X
    System = SunOS
    Release = 5.7
    KernelID = Generic_106542-27

    % ssh -V
    OpenSSH_3.7.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003

    This morning I was trying to make a connection using ssh. The ssh
    program would just sit there doing nothing. I tried ssh with the -v
    option, which showed me that the program wasn't getting very far before
    it would hang:

            % ssh -v username@hostname
            OpenSSH_3.7.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr
    2003
            debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 28: Deprecated option
    "RhostsAuthentication"

    It did the same thing no matter what account I was using or what system
    I was trying to connect to (including making a connection back to the
    local host). In contrast, telnet worked fine. I tried sending a hangup
    signal to the sshd process (the one with ppid=1) but that didn't work.
    Finally, I stopped and restarted the daemon using /etc/init.d/openssh:

    /etc/init.d/openssh stop
    /etc/init.d/openssh start

    That fixed the problem.

    I've been using openssh on our development/test servers for several
    months. I've only run into this issue twice. But both instances occurred
    recently within a day of building the server.

    Does anyone know what might be going on?

    John

    • Re: SSH scans vs connection ratelimiting
      ... we're all seeing repeated bruteforce attempts on SSH. ... My theory was/is that this particular scanner simply multiplexes multiple authentication attempts over a single connection. ... I 'used the source luke' of OpenSSH to find support for this theory, but found the source a bit too wealthy for my brain to find such support. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • ssh hangs after authentication - possible solution
      ... I would like to share my experience with openssh. ... I had problem connecting to any server from my home ... using ssh. ... (I have ADSL connection, provider Telefonica O2, Czech Republic) ...
      (SSH)
    • RE: [BSD6] SSH Restriction
      ... We have one user connect on server with ssh command and telnet argment to access on some router. ... The connection is not closed and cleaned properly. ... Unfortunately I didn't get it working with OpenSSH, ... allocates terminals while been root. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • [opensuse] ssh weirdness - ssh connects then hangs after transferring a few bytes
      ... Has anyone else out there encountered problems with OpenSSH in opensuse 10.2? ... I'm having a weird problem connecting to certain servers: ssh connects ... connection problems do not occur consistently with OpenSSH 3.9p1 as ...
      (SuSE)
    • ssh root denied
      ... I have a Freebsd server 4.9 working in a closet without screen. ... So I would like to use it through ssh from another station with OpenSSH to configure it when I need it. ... Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host. ...
      (freebsd-questions)