ssh hangs (openssh stop/start fixes problem)

From: Spurgeon, John P (john.p.spurgeon_at_intel.com)
Date: 02/21/04

    Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:05:31 -0800
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

    I'm using openssh on Solaris 7 (Intel):

    % uname -X
    System = SunOS
    Release = 5.7
    KernelID = Generic_106542-27

    % ssh -V
    OpenSSH_3.7.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003

    This morning I was trying to make a connection using ssh. The ssh
    program would just sit there doing nothing. I tried ssh with the -v
    option, which showed me that the program wasn't getting very far before
    it would hang:

            % ssh -v username@hostname
            OpenSSH_3.7.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr
    2003
            debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 28: Deprecated option
    "RhostsAuthentication"

    It did the same thing no matter what account I was using or what system
    I was trying to connect to (including making a connection back to the
    local host). In contrast, telnet worked fine. I tried sending a hangup
    signal to the sshd process (the one with ppid=1) but that didn't work.
    Finally, I stopped and restarted the daemon using /etc/init.d/openssh:

    /etc/init.d/openssh stop
    /etc/init.d/openssh start

    That fixed the problem.

    I've been using openssh on our development/test servers for several
    months. I've only run into this issue twice. But both instances occurred
    recently within a day of building the server.

    Does anyone know what might be going on?

    John