Re: Verifying the host fingerprint

From: Craig M. Dupree (cdupree_at_austin.rr.com)
Date: 02/18/04

    Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:06:32 -0600
    To: Hamish Whittal <hamish@QEDux.co.za>

    On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:43:00PM +0200, Hamish Whittal wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to log into a host and, the first time, it gives me a host
    > fingerprint, asking whether this is the host I am trying to connect to.
    > I know it is, but how do I "REALLY" verify this?

    Contact the admin of the system, offline (ie, phone). Ask him to verify
    that the fingerprint of the key on his system matches what you have
    been presented with.

    Craig

    • Re: Where is my Skype password stored.
      ... to your account, it triggers the newer complexity requirement. ... Any program running on your host can generate a fingerprint based on ... a unique "device" connecting to their service and for just one account. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Need some education: Man-in-the-Middle Attacks
      ... The host key fingerprint isn't actually ... public portion of the host key and the client ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: ssh RSA key fingerprint differs from ssh_host_key.pub
      ... when asked to verify the identity of the remote host. ... > fingerprint and the file contents to be the same? ... > Richard Silverman ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • RE: Verifying the host fingerprint
      ... >> I am trying to log into a host and, the first time, it ... >> fingerprint, asking whether this is the host I am trying to ... HEX reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: spoof rsa fingerprint
      ... submit their password to a rogue host. ... In answer to the original question, though, spoofing the fingerprint ... of the RSA keys. ...
      (Fedora)