RE: windows to linux via the internet

From: Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh] (aditya.deshmukh_at_online.gateway.technolabs.net)
Date: 02/14/04

    To: "Carl Holtje" <holtje@freeside.dnsalias.org>, "JM Fraser" <jmf@cybertrex.co.uk>, <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:42:54 +0530

    we do something simillar but with ssl

    > Lost with this one... you want to allow SSH connections from inside to
    > the outside, or you want your communications from Windows to the outside
    > to go through the linux box?

    i think he wants something that works now - ssh is out of question for the movement

    but you can set up ssl secured vpn and use the facilities provided by the win2k internal ipsec to achieve a simillar effect.

    maybe you should be looking for samba+openvpn combination or samba+freeswan combo

    freeswan http://freeswan.org
    openvpn http://openvpn.sf.net
    samba http://samba.org

    > There are a few projects that will do the later -- the Linux Router
    > Project [http://www.linuxrouter.org/] is one, and IP masquerading is
    > another (search at http://www.tldp.org/ for more)...
    >
    > Hope it helps..

    hope i pointed you in the right direction

    -aditya

    > Carl
    >
    > --
    >
    > "There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary
    > and those that don't."
    >
    > $>whoami: Carl Holtje
    > $>mail holtje: holtje@freeside.dnsalias.org
    > $>cu: http://freeside.dnsalias.org
    > $>whois holtje:
    >
    > System Administrator Group
    > Computer Science Department
    > Rochester Institute of Technology
    >
    > $>

    Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

    • Re: Re: Funny Windows 2k3 Security "Feature"
      ... I made a Linux Server, ... Just install any flavoured Linux, Samba, and configure Samba to accept GUEST account. ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Keychain failing to remember password for samba mount
      ... Linux server out on the network with a samba share. ... I start the Mac and select the proper network Location. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: [PHP] Improving development process / help with developer setup
      ... SVN) and the reason to use samba is that doing this allows the developer ... machine (windows) to access the shares hosted in a linux server so when ... If you only have a small number of developers, you could do away with Samba completely and use SftpDrive, which allows you to map a drive to an SFTP account. ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: Samba - Share
      ... Matthias Wagler wrote: ... > in my netword are 3 computers: my linux Server, ... I would use on my suse 9 computer the samba shares ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Laufwerksanzeige unter Windows
      ... Was mich jetzt stört ist die Anzeige im verbundenen Laufwerk im Windows Explorer. ... Hier wird Samba und die lange Versionsnummer angezeigt. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.networking.samba)