Re: windows to linux via the internet

From: Patrick Benson (benson_at_chello.se)
Date: 02/12/04

    Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:49:55 +0100
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    JM Fraser wrote:

    > I have various W32 clients that I want to connect to a Linux box. I am
    > looking for the following setup:
    >
    > Windows clients, users click on a drive mapping such as J: within
    > Windows Explorer and connect instantly to a Volume on the linux server,
    > via SSH via the internet.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > with much thanks
    > Jules

    You seem to be looking for WinSCP - http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/

    WinSCP uses PuTTY - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

    Your users can generate their own keypair, send you their respective
    public key which you administer with the sshd server, running on the
    Linux box. Files can be copied, moved using sftp, scp with the ssh1 and
    ssh2 protocols. The W32 clients can use either a Norton Commander- or
    Explorer-like interface.

    --
    Patrick Benson
    Stockholm, Sweden